Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Few Things I Miss


Somone e-mailed asking what I missed being in India.  The list is small--I am not missing much of anything.  Granted, being an expat these days is much different than it was 14 years ago when Jennifer and I were in Brazil.  The internet and e-mail changes everything.  So much that I might have missed a decade or more ago is a click away, so I always feel connected.

I recall being in Brazil in 1994.  E-mail was still pretty young, but it was a crucial connection for me even then.  I actually communicated more with some of my old company colleagues through e-mail then than I had when I was with them in California.  It is sometimes the same now.

Here are some things I miss (besides friends and family, of course--I am focusing here on the fleeting things that I miss--query why I focus on these before the more important things):

1. Burritos and Tacos (Must be wet and cheesy)
2. Topography (ocean mostly, and then mountains--Delhi is flat flat)
3.  NPR (and the sound pieces, with lapping water or tilling sounds in the background)
4. Football (or perhaps SportsCenter is all I need)
5. Playing Loud, Ugly, Sloppy Rock and Roll
6. Playing Ice Hockey

Only two or three are in fact things I really miss.   I am pleased that the list is so short and manageable.  

2 comments:

a progressive crank said...

Now if it were me, I would have cheerfully substituted pakoras and samosa for tacos and burritos ;-) I love 'em all.

I think you need a Flickr account or some way to share pictures, if you haven't done it already, and for heaven's sake, take a lot. I would love to see the color and texture of India through your eyes, as well as those of your two fellow expats.

ghd3 said...

agree with above on sharing photos. SmugMug is also a great service.

I hear you on NPR: it's like comfort food for my ears. When I travel abroad, I often listen to it online, which you can always do (or podcasts).

Great to see another post!