Monday, March 23, 2009

Red Meat is Murder

I have been in Abu Dhabi for a week, negotiating a big helicopter contract. A couple of nights there has been time to head out of the hotel to a nearby mall, with a Yankee-looking food court (though I am sure it is folly to assume we invented the food court). Anyway, while I can't get pork in the UAE, I can certainly get red meat burgers. It has been almost a year of no red meat in India and while the allure of a burger (in this case a Hardee's Burger, though I had my choice of McD's, BK, DQ, and CHili's) is powerful, I don't have much of a stomach for it. The burger still sits heavily in my gut, and I am queasy.

I had a steak the other night at the hotel, some extravagant Waygu beef, whatever that means. I finished half, barely. The taste isn't fulfilling and my stomach is disagreeable almost immediately. I am confused, because I eat my fair share of lamb (isn't it a red meat) in India, and while it is often simmered to a pleasurable tenderness, I also have grilled meats that test my digestion.

1 comment:

eliza.e.campbell said...

Meat! Meat! It's going out of style, you know.